1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Wash and core the apples, being careful not to puncture through the bottom of the apples. Place apples in a baking dish.
3. Mix brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pecans in a small mixing bowl. Pack each apple with the mixture.
4. Cut butter into 1/4 tablespoon slices and place a slice on the top of each apple.
5. Add apple juice or water to the pan, filling to about 1/2 the depth of the pan. Cover with foil.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Uncover and increase heat to 375 degrees F. Cook for 30-45 minutes or until the apples are the desired softness.