I don’t know about you, but as we round the bend and cruise toward the beginning of summer, I feel I feel a little tingle of childlike excitement. Remember how it felt to count the days until the end of school, staying up a little later in the golden evenings, and smelling freshly mown grass?
Here’s an armful of interesting facts about this month!
1) The name June is the modern-day adaption of the Latin word Junius, which has its origins dating back to the ancient Romans.
2) There are multiple theories as to what the month of June was named after. One theory is that it was named after the Roman goddess of marriage, Juno. Another theory is that its name originates from the Latin word juniores, which translates into “younger ones”. Yet another possibility is that the month was named after Lucius Junius Brutus, the founder of the Roman Republic.
3) June used to be the fourth month in the year. Before Julius Caesar came to power, the calendar year only had 10 months. In 46 BC he created the Julian calendar by adding two more months to the year, which made June the sixth month.
4) June was called sera monath by the Anglo-Saxons, which translated into “dry month”.
5) No other month in the year begins on the same day of the week as June.
6) June has both the longest and the shortest days of the year, depending on where you’re standing! If you live in the northern hemisphere, then June 21st is the longest day of the year. If you live in the southern hemisphere, then the 21st is the shortest day of the year.
7) The first day of summer in the northern hemisphere is June 21st.
8) June has some incredibly varied month-long observances around the world. In the United States, June is LGBTQ+ Pride Month, Great Outdoors Month, and National Oceans Month. On the other side of the world in the United Kingdom, June is National Smile Month!
9) The birth flowers of June are the honeysuckle and the rose. Both of these flowers are symbols of all things relating to love, desire, generosity, and affection. If you were born in June, then there’s a good chance you’ll be a bit of a hopeless romantic!
10) Many incredibly important and influential people throughout history have been born in June. Among many others born in June, Anne Frank, Che Guevara, Jean-Paul-Sartre, Marilyn Monroe, George Orwell, and George H. W. Bush all share a common birth month!
Have any fun summer plans this year? I’d love to hear about them! Please remember that I’m your friend in the home lending business and I’d love to hear from you.
Please drop me an email or call if you have any questions – or someone you know is in need of expert advice. I love to help those you care about. If you have a referral please click the button down below. Your referrals are the heart and lifeblood of my business.
Mission San Jose Mortgage
2111 W. March Lane, Suite B100
Stockton, CA 95207